Friday, June 27, 2008

Two-fer

Or is it two-for? Either way, since I've been a bit absent I'm providing several tasty recipes in one post. That's right! A two-fer (two-for, whatever you prefer)! The hubby and I just came back from a wonderful trip to Key West where we ate and drank and soaked up the sunshine. It was very relaxing and much needed! I thought I'd be so tired from the whirlwind Keys mini vacation to actually cook something, but I wasn't.

Wait! Before I go into that recipe, let me show you the beautiful red chile-infused tequila that I made for our friend's birthday margaritas. These were one of the best margaritas I've had in a long time. I make guava margaritas at home, but using the red chile-infused tequila just gave it that special touch. You can find the very easy recipe here.


The next recipe for you are these tasty Greek flat bread "things" I put together. Instead of grilled chicken (which I've done before) I used chicken meatballs just for a change. They were VERY good and made even better by the accompaniment of homemade tzatzki sauce and feta.

Greek-Style Chicken Meatballs
1 lb ground chicken
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp turmeric
2 cloves or minced garlic (I usually mince it with a microplane so it's really fine)
1 tsp lemon zest
a couple pinches of salt and pepper
1 small onion cut in wedges

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all the ingredients with the ground chicken. On a tin foil lined baking dish, place meat balls about 1 in apart. Place onion wedges between the meatballs. Drizzle it all with olive oil and bake for about 30-40 minutes until meatballs are cooked through and onion wedges are browned.

Homemade Tzatzki Sauce

I make mine with a lot of garlic since I like the bite and heat of the garlic. Use less garlic or even roasted garlic for milder flavor.

1 7 oz tub of Greek yogurt (whole, low fat, or nonfat all work)
2 large cloves of minced garlic
1 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice
2-3 tbsp of fresh chopped dill
salt to taste
Mix it all up and serve! It works great on sandwiches and for a veggie dip too!

No comments: