Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Everything That's Good in a Cookie

That's right...two posts in the same week! WOW! You can tell that the sweet tooth took control last month. I think I have already expressed my undying love for both the cookie and the cupcake. However, I never knew how much I loved the former until it was joined in marital bliss with bittersweet chocolate, cherries, and oats. Who needs a boring oatmeal cookie when you can have these heavenly ones! The tartness of the cherries were perfect for the sweet chocolate. The oats gave them some body and BAM! (in the words of Emeril). Just such a treat.

My small changes to the recipe: I didn't add the toffee bits since I just thought it would be too overwhelming, and I cut the sugar by about half. I don't like my cookies too sweet, and these changes made them perfect for me!


Torie's Cherry Chocolate-Chunk Cookies
(directly taken from Martha Stewart)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oats
1 cup dried cherries
4 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup toffee pieces

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parch­ment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour and baking soda.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice during mixing. Add the egg; mix on high speed to combine. Add the vanilla; mix to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, and mix on low speed until well combined. Add the oats, cherries, chocolate, and toffee pieces; mix to combine after each addition.
4. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of dough onto a lined baking sheet. Repeat, spacing 2 inches apart.
5. Bake cookies until golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes, rotat­ing baking sheet halfway through. Transfer to a wire rack.

No comments: