Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Every Day Pasta

Can it be? Another cooking post so soon?

It is! I said I was going to try and be better about this whole thing and I am really attempting to be better. I always think that I should only post things that I made some sort of effort to make. However, who cares, right? Cooking ideas are cooking ideas, and since this blog is a record for me than I should put down easy ideas too.

The other night I made the pasta below. I am happy to note that it wasn't entirely jar sauce pasta. I did cheat and use a store bought pesto. I would feel slightly bad about it, but I know I can make pesto from scratch and the store bought was so much easier with baby around. This pasta took me about 15 minutes to make and it was yummy and nutritious (packed with veggies!). It will be a keeper and most likely added to our dinner routine.


Every Day Pesto Pasta

1/2 box of your favorite pasta (we love rigatoni in this house)
1/2 cup store bought pesto (or homemade if you have it)
1 zucchini, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 cup fresh spinach
1 orange bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
3 oz mozzarella, cut into bite-size pieces

Cook noodles according to box directions. While noodles are cooking, saute zucchini, bell pepper, and cherry tomatoes with about a tbsp of olive oil until cooked through (but still a bit crisp and tomatoes are slightly blistered). Shut off heat, then add in pesto and spinach. Toss until coated. Once noodles are finished, add and toss in with veggie mix. If the pesto is too thick, you can always add a touch of pasta water to thin out the sauce. Add in moz pieces at the very end and serve.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Love this recipe! I have all the ingredients in my pantry/garden/or freezer! I just made some home made pesto the other day! Can't wait to try it!