Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And It Continues...

The lack of creativity and motivation is still hovering over my kitchen, drinking tea and eating biscuits. This weekend- a long three-day weekend, in fact- I did find a wee bit of energy to look through some cookbooks and old recipes hoping that I could find something tasty to make. After searching through magazines, books, papers, I decided that I can't force myself to find something motivating. It really has to find me. I feel like I'm getting there. I did pull myself off the couch to make some homemade refrigerator dill pickles, which were very delicious. That post will come in the next few days.

For now, I give you another household favorite since it's quick and flavorful.


Orzo with Roasted Asparagus and Tomatoes

1 small box of orzo
1 bunch of asparagus
2 cups grape tomatoes
1 lemon
olive oil
handful of chopped basil and Italian parsley
salt and pepper

Place asparagus and tomatoes on a roasting pan. Drizzle them with a good amount of olive oil and some hearty pinches of salt and cracked pepper. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes (until the asparagus are soft and the tomatoes are blistered). While the asparagus and tomatoes are roasting, cook orzo according to package directions. Once the asparagus are done, let them cool for about 5 minutes and then cut into bite size pieces. Toss orzo, asparagus bits, tomatoes, and leftover olive oil from the pan with the juice and zest of one lemon, chopped basil and parsley. Add another drizzle of olive oil if it's too dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste, as well as some Parmesan cheese. This works great the next day for a pasta salad!

No comments: